In this episode, Chris talks to Eric Herzog, CMO at Infinidat about the announcement of SSA II, the second generation all-flash InfiniBox platform. The first generation SSA (solid state array) was developed to address a customer requirement that all long-tail latency I/Os must be delivered at all-flash levels of performance. The InfiniBox architecture is capable of delivering up to 95% of I/O from DRAM, but for some customers, that figure simply wasn’t high enough.
With SSA II, Infinidat has moved to the Intel Cascade Lake architecture, adding a further 48 cores of processing. In addition, the InfiniBox software has been enhanced to include InfiniSafe and InfiniOps, a combination of AIOps and integrations with common application platforms. The enhancements enable SSA II to deliver I/O as low as 35µs, with real world 70/30 read/write mix of 50µs (read) and 70µs (write). A demonstration on customer performance I/O can be seen in this pre-recorded presentation (registration required).
The new InfiniSafe technology mirrors that introduced into the InfiniGuard platform a few months ago. We discussed this in depth with Eric in episode #227. Further information on SSA II can be found in the Infinidat press release (here).
Elapsed Time: 00:32:19
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:15 – SSA II has been announced – but what is SSA?
- 00:03:00 – InfiniBox uses neural cache to deliver low latency
- 00:06:00 – What’s new in SSA II? Cores and Processors to start
- 00:07:15 – What are the metrics? 35 microseconds – cache hits
- 00:09:10 – High performance is based on new architectures
- 00:11:00 – Why do vendors hide away from real-world numbers?
- 00:13:20 – What software changes are in SSA II?
- 00:14:00 – InfiniSafe has been added to SSA II
- 00:19:00 – Cyber-resilience needs to be deployed on primary storage
- 00:19:30 – SSA II introduces InfiniOps to the InfiniBox family
- 00:22:00 – Containers are supported on SSA II with CSI, Red Hat OpenShift & VMware Tanzu
- 00:28:15 – SSA II is available from today and existing SSA gets a software upgrade
- 00:31:10 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #227 – Infinidat InfiniGuard Enhancements with Eric Herzog
- #202 – Enterprise Storage Consolidation with Phil Bullinger from Infinidat
- #166 – Infinidat Elastic Storage Pricing with Eran Brown
- #222 – End of the Year Show 2021 – Part Two
- #173 – Transparent Enterprise Storage Pricing
- The Quiet Success of Infinidat
- Predicting the Future of Technology Influencers
Copyright (c) 2016-2022 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #er8r.