This week, Chris chats to VAST Data CEO, Renen Hallak about the explosion in data and the challenges of analysing and managing huge quantities of unstructured content. VAST Data has built a scale-out unstructured object store that customers are now using to store petabytes of complex data. But what does complex mean, and how is that data being used? Renen explains how many of VAST customers are now at the exabyte level, more than might have been expected only a few years ago.
What will customers do with this data? AI and analytics are the most obvious use cases, driving insight into content and moving us closer to the viability of true thinking machines. New technology like SmartNICs and DPUs will be combined with the VAST storage technology to create a data solution for the future. The potential and expectations of VAST data are huge and we’re looking forward to finding out more in the coming years.
For more detail on the company, check out https://vastdata.com/ or click on our related blogs and podcasts below.
Elapsed Time: 00:34:43
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:04:00 – Machine generated data is giving way to “natural” data
- 00:06:30 – We’re into exabyte-scale customers
- 00:08:00 – Where were customers storing data?
- 00:09:45 – Are the days of the hard drive numbered?
- 00:11:00 – Some VAST customers are importing tape data sets
- 00:12:30 – How will edge requirements be managed?
- 00:14:15 – Distributed computing will help pre-processing of data
- 00:15:45 – AI technologies are new forms of computation
- 00:17:00 – We’re heading towards thinking machines and Skynet!
- 00:19:45 – Computer architectures are evolving
- 00:21:15 – SmartNICs, DPUs and IPUs are driving a new view of Moore’s Law
- 00:26:00 – Will we need better data protocols and data consistency?
- 00:28:30 – New technology drives new architectures
- 00:30:45 – What clues can we look out for in the VAST future?
- 00:33:00 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #105 – Introduction to VAST Data Part I with Howard Marks
- #106 – Introduction to VAST Data Part II with Howard Marks
- VAST Data goes software-only – what does this mean for customers?
- VAST Data launches with new scale-out storage platform
Copyright (c) 2016-2021 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #d45e.