The ongoing saga at OVH highlights the need to have solid disaster recovery plans that reflect the risk and impact of systems failure on the business. In this episode, Chris and Martin dig into the issues at OVH and how they represent a wake-up call for businesses in general. High profile failures have been apparent over many years, so does DR get the investment and respect it deserves? With so many more businesses operating with a 100% dependency on technology, you would expect so. Why does DR continue to be an afterthought and how has the public cloud distorted the perception of who is responsible for systems, applications and data recovery?
Elapsed Time: 00:44:21
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:00 – Martin walks 4 million steps in a year
- 00:02:30 – The ongoing OVH Saga
- 00:04:00 – Other disasters – 9/11 & Buncefield
- 00:06:30 – Disaster Experiences!
- 00:09:15 – A disaster doesn’t mean losing the entire data centre
- 00:12:15 – Businesses need to understand the level of risk
- 00:12:45 – Risk translates to impact and risk assessment
- 00:13:57 – How should a plan be developed?
- 00:15:00 – The business owner needs to determine the value of the application
- 00:16:40 – Test, test, test – within reason!
- 00:19:00 – Data centre “flipping” is a complex process
- 00:20:00 – If DR is an afterthought then you have a problem
- 00:20:45 – Nobody likes doing documentation
- 00:22:30 – How can software changes break systems?
- 00:25:15 – Many storage upgrades had no fallback position
- 00:27:55 – How much does cost affect decisions to do DR?
- 00:29:30 – War gaming disaster recovery!
- 00:31:45 – How is the perception of technology warping the need for DR?00:34:00 – Starting an airline has regulation – why don’t e-businesses have the same?
- 00:36:45 – How much are non-functional requirements being ignored?00:38:30 – There are many tools for doing DR – it’s never been easier!
- 00:41:00 – Is Disaster Recovery just not glamorous enough?
- 00:43:00 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- Backup as a Service
- Cloud-Native Data Protection
- Data Protection in a Multi-Cloud World
- Backup in Your Responsibility – Even in Public Cloud
- #135 – Introducing Datrium DRaaS Connect with Simon Long
Copyright (c) 2016-2021 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #bnic.