This week, Martin and Chris catch up with Chris Mellor in his “pandemic infused isolation”. Without a particular theme, this episode looks at the unchanging landscape of tape and media, Dell EMC building another new storage platform and Nutanix still not making a profit.
In the future zone, we speculate on AMD and Micron getting together to build an Optane challenger, the chances of Kubernetes storage being successful and whether Nebulon has a new architecture with cloud-defined storage.
Naturally the conversation is interspersed with many tangents and diversions, but hey, it wouldn’t be opinion without it! This recording is way longer than normal and for that we sincerely apologise, and hope you enjoy it – keep listening to the end though, as every minute is worth your time. As usual, if you disagree or have any comments, just get in touch.
Elapsed Time: 00:54:08
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:00 – Reading the weather on Countryfile
- 00:02:20 – Some things never change
- 00:02:40 – LTO9 slowing the capacity paradigm
- 00:07:00 – 3480 cartridges were in megabytes
- 00:08:10 – Pushing 20TB drive capacities
- 00:09:19 – Martin takes it back to tape
- 00:10:00 – How do tapes take such a beating?
- 00:12:00 – Pollution and computer equipment
- 00:13:30 – Another Dell EMC storage platform?
- 00:19:00 – We need to play Storage buzzword bingo!
- 00:19:30 – Is Intel making a profit on Optane?
- 00:22:00 – Could AMD pair up with Micron on 3D-XPoint?
- 00:26:00 – Could AMD/Micron succeed in the console space?
- 00:28:00 – Is a new Nutanix CEO change the cost of new money
- 00:30:00 – Now emerging solutions/technologies
- 00:30:05 – What does the Pure/Portworx acquisition mean?
- 00:33:00 – Could Kubernetes be the next OpenStack?
- 00:35:30 – NetApp has rebranded!
- 00:37:00 – Storage on a Stick anyone? (Nebulon)
- 00:40:02 – Most storage is the same generic technology
- 00:45:00 – Stop the press! Charlie’s closing down Pure!
- 00:54:00 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #158 – Midrange Teardown with Chris Mellor
- #138 – Storage Predictions for 2020 (Part I)
- #139 – Storage Predictions for 2020 (Part II)
Copyright (c) 2016-2020 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #5cgb.