Technology refreshes are a constant part of the IT landscape. Businesses need to frequently update and modernise their infrastructure. Typically, the inertia to move between vendors is strong, but inflection points do occur, when the cost and risk of change is outweighed by the benefits. How do you identify inflection points in your environment and then take advantage of the opportunity?
The biggest hurdle to making a change is overcoming risk. Picking a new vendor has implications on costs, training and Day 2 operations. However, not making a change can be equally as impactful if the incumbent vendor changes strategy or has a confused portfolio of products.
In this podcast discussion, we cover RFPs, the effect of Public Cloud and how new technology is impacting the structure of IT organisations. In the end, technology is there to run the business and picking the right technologies is a constant process.
Elapsed Time: 00:41:39
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:02:45 – What is generating the pace of change and inflection opportunities
- 00:04:45 – What are the reasons for change?
- 00:06:30 – Automation & DevOps is a current strategy
- 00:08:15 – Not changing is a risk as much as change
- 00:09:30 – How willing will your vendor be to help when problems hit?
- 00:10:45 – Never take a new product until version 3!
- 00:14:00 – Vendors have inflection point risks too
- 00:15:30 – Is there still value in the RFP process?
- 00:22:00 – Are we skilled enough to translate business into technical requirements?
- 00:25:45 – Is Public Cloud sexy?
- 00:28:00 – Mature, stable workloads probably won’t benefit from migration to cloud
- 00:29:30 – Data mobility is more important than specific technology
- 00:30:45 – How does “Day 2” operations affect technology choices?
- 00:32:30 – Do three-tier architectures still have relevance?
- 00:35:00 – Technology change is driving organisational change
- 00:38:00 – How can we build in consumption models to technology adoption?
- 00:39:00 – Conclusions
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #162 – The Evolving Role of Storage Administration
- #142 – Storage, Automation & DevOps
- #104 – Creating a Data Management Strategy
- Storage Management and AIOps
- Storage Management and DevOps