The role of the storage administrator has changed over the years and is in many ways influenced by the three “V”s typically used to describe AI. Admins have to deal with increased data Volumes, with the Velocity of delivering resources and with a wide Variety of application profiles. This week, Chris talks to Clay Ryder (Senior Director of Enterprise Marketing) and Frank Shepherd (Principal Systems Engineer) from Tintri to gain their insights on how technology and process is changing storage administration to meet the Three Vs challenge.
Exponential data growth has always been an issue in IT. As the cost of storage drops, the volume of data increases, making the work of the storage admin further disconnected from hardware management. Server virtualisation abstracted much of the provision work of storage administration but hasn’t changed fundamentals like workload placement.
Going forward, we need to see technology taking control of the more mundane and repetitive tasks of managing storage infrastructure. AIOps is building that process into storage platforms. At that point, the admin becomes the strategist and architect of business requirements.
Elapsed Time: 00:43:16
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:00 – Tintri is now part of DDN
- 00:01:55 – What is the history of storage administration?
- 00:04:55 – Virtualisation didn’t change the construct of a disk
- 00:05:40 – Applications & hardware used to be tightly coupled
- 00:07:20 – Admins used to spend lots of time managing hardware
- 00:09:00 – Storage is a performance arms race
- 00:10:50 – Exponential growth doesn’t mean exponential numbers of staff
- 00:13:00 – AIOps will be essential – augmentation like car navigation systems
- 00:18:50 – Storage needs to self-adapt to remove administrator intervention
- 00:19:30 – Storage needs to adapt to application & business specific needs
- 00:22:00 – Virtualisation still depends on underlying storage hardware characteristics
- 00:27:30 – (Storage) infrastructure is still needed across the industry
- 00:29:30 – We need good analytics from storage platforms
- 00:33:50 – Some tasks may be dispersed to non-storage skilled teams
- 00:35:20 – What will the future storage administrator skill set look like?
- 00:36:20 – The Human aspect moves towards supporting the needs of the business
- 00:38:30 – Metcalfe’s Law predicts exponential increase in complexity
- 00:42:00 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- Storage Management and AIOps
- Storage Management and DevOps
- #142 – Storage, Automation and DevOps
- #114 – CIO storage & Data Challenges
Copyright (c) 2016-2020 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #4m21.