This week we continue with the discussion on midrange storage platforms with a more in-depth look at PowerStore and other recent announcements. PowerStore is the new Dell midrange platform that’s expected to replace XtremIO, SC Series and Unity. We learned more on the platform from Dell earlier in the week (see the links in related episodes).
This episode looks to unpack some of the detail with reference to the wider storage market. Will AppsON be a success? What does it mean to have an integrated hypervisor? Could PowerStore run in the public cloud? All questions we get to in this episode.
Looking at the market in general, is there now a move towards single storage operating systems and platforms? Have we finally seen a degree of standardisation and rationalisation? Listen to find out!
Elapsed Time: 00:47:02
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:05 – 12 months since our previous speculation on midrange
- 00:02:00 – Was Trident the PowerStore project?
- 00:05:15 – Containerisation and virtualisation in PowerStore
- 00:07:00 – It’s not Tanzu!
- 00:08:25 – Doesn’t virtualisation impact performance?
- 00:10:50 – Can any vendor use the PCIe acceleration in ESXi 6.7U2?
- 00:12:30 – What other midrange announcements have there been?
- 00:15:15 – Dell has expanded it’s storage portfolio (again)
- 00:16:50 – Does cost sensitivity preclude only all-flash in midrange?
- 00:18:55 – Is midrange the new “enterprise”?
- 00:24:00 – What has happened to NVMe-oF startups?
- 00:29:25 – Is PowerStore a “challenger” product?
- 00:31:20 – Is scale-out really needed today?
- 00:35:00 – How will ESXi be accessed by the customer in PowerStore X?
- 00:36:30 – Could PowerStoreOS run in the public cloud?
- 00:38:50 – PowerStoreOS could run better on VMware on AWS
- 00:40:00 – Will all vendors go single storage operating system?
- 00:44:45 – Wrap up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #157 – Introduction to Dell PowerStore
- #90 – Dell EMC’s Enterprise NVMe Strategy with Vince Westin
- #138 – Storage Predictions for 2020
- #102 – May Midrange Madness with Chris Mellor
- Dell Technologies Unveils PowerStore Midrange.NEXT
Copyright (c) 2016-2020 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #ndi0.