In this edition of the podcast, Chris chats to Chadd Kenney, VP and Chief Technologist at Clumio. Clumio is a SaaS data protection company that has recently expanded to support Office 365 environments. This discussion covers background on Clumio, how data protection for cloud should work and some specifics of the Clumio implementation.
Looking deeper at the way in which the Clumio platform works, data from protected environments (such as VMware vSphere) lands directly on S3. This allows the solution to scale up to support thousands of concurrent backups, without needing to know that customers have increased their backup requirements.
In line with many similar offerings, Clumio now protects Office 365 data. It’s worth remembering that SaaS-based applications typically don’t provide any data protection capabilities, so customers need to put in place their own backup.
You can find out more about Clumio at https://clumio.com/
Elapsed Time: 00:30:32
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:20 – Clumio now supports Office 365
- 00:03:25 – Protect data were it resides to avoid egress charges
- 00:05:30 – Don’t run backup 24/7 (unless you need it)
- 00:06:00 – SaaS backup provides air gap protection against ransomware
- 00:09:20 – Define policy once and apply consistently everywhere
- 00:11:05 – Backup administrators have huge power in enterprises
- 00:13:00 – Leaping to cloud without a backup strategy is risky
- 00:15:05 – Data is becoming more loosely coupled from the application
- 00:19:20 – What is the Clumio consumption model?
- 00:21:00 – Where does customer data sit?
- 00:22:55 – How do you scale for unknown customer demand?
- 00:23:45 – Clumio writes directly to S3
- 00:28:00 – Why protect Office 365 data?
- 00:29:35 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
Chadd Kenney is the Vice President and Chief Technologist at Clumio. Chadd has 20 years of experience in technology leadership roles, most recently as Vice President of Products and Solutions for Pure Storage. Prior to that role, he was the Vice President and Chief Technology Officer for the Americas helping to grow the business from zero in revenue to over a billion. Chadd also spent 8 years at EMC in various roles from Field CTO to Principal Engineer. Chadd is a technologist at heart, who loves helping customers understand the true elegance of products through simple analogies, solutions use cases, and a view into the minds of the engineers that created the solution.
Copyright (c) 2016-2020 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #6rcw.