This week, Chris and Martin chat to Paul Stringfellow, CTO at Gardner Systems, about the realities of technology adoption. We hear lots of talk about Kubernetes, HCI, all-flash and even SCM technologies. But are all organisations deploying these technologies from day one?
In reality, businesses deploy technology in a timeline that matches a normal distribution curve. As detailed in “Crossing the Chasm” by Geoffrey Moore, there’s a gap between early adopters and the mainstream IT organisations.
What causes this inertia? Some of the challenges relate people and process, however there’s also a desire to implement more mature products. Who really wanted to use Microsoft Windows before version 3.0…
Elapsed Time: 00:34:46
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:02:00 – Technology adoption myths vs the reality
- 00:05:30 – Are enterprises any better at adopting new tech?
- 00:06:40 – What do we mean by digital transformation?
- 00:10:00 – Who doesn’t like a new car?
- 00:11:10 – Does technology adoption allow staff “redistribution”?
- 00:12:15 – S&P 500 – 2 week replacement schedule
- 00:13:20 – Focus on data and the data model, not just hardware
- 00:16:20 – Do the CIO/CTO roles exist in smaller organisations?
- 00:17:50 – Crossing the Chasm – why does adoption inertia occur?
- 00:19:10 – Always wait for the 3.0 version of the product!
- 00:19:50 – Dealing with”day 2” implementation
- 00:23:55 – Vendors only turn up at licence renewal time!
- 00:26:00 – “Keeping the lights on” is still an issue for IT teams
- 00:29:05 – Always ask – does this technology solve a problem?
- 00:30:40 – Make white papers free to download – no registration!
- 00:32:40 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
Copyright (c) 2016-2020 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #NA5Y.