In this final, final show for 2019, Martin and Chris review both the year and decade just passed. How did predictions work for 2019? What technology has come and gone over the decade and what can we expect in the next 10 years?
Downloads have increased exponentially again over the year. Thank you to everyone who continues to download and listen to us. The most popular posts continue to be those focused on vendors and products. Top of the list is #102 – May Midrange Madness, with the VAST Data dilogy (#105 & #106) close behind.
Our rather generic predictions of 2019 proved to be mostly accurate. QLC NAND and flash in general is taking over. This a theme of 2019 (for QLC) and for flash over the decade. Looking back to 2009/2010, vendors like Xsigo, Nirvanix and Ocarina were presenting at Tech Field Days. 1TB drives were state of the art – a volume of data that can now be purchased on a single microSD card from Micron.
What can we expect in the next decade? Probably more of the same challenges around data management and compliance, with increasing focus on features delivered through software. It’s going to be another interesting decade!
Elapsed Time: 00:30:00
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:00 – Has the decade ended?
- 00:01:48 – A big thank you
- 00:03:08 – How accurate was the predictions show?
- 00:04:00 – QLC, SCM, 3D-XPoint and NVMe-oF
- 00:07:30 – How many storage products are not problem-focused?
- 00:09:20 – What did we talk about in 2019? What was most popular?
- 00:12:39 – What were the technologies of 2009/2010?
- 00:15:00 – From TFD – Xsigo, Nirvanix & Ocarina all gone
- 00:16:26 – 2009 – 1TB drives – today 16, 18, 20TB
- 00:18:00 – SDS has been a success via the back door
- 00:20:00 – The 2010s as seen the rise of flash and NVMe
- 00:21:14 – Storage administration is no longer a desired skill
- 00:23:10 – What can we expect over the next decade?
- 00:25:48 – Data management will be the biggest ongoing challenge
- 00:28:11 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #102 – May Midrange Madness with Chris Mellor
- #105 – Introduction to VAST Data (Part I) with Howard Marks
- #106 – Introduction to VAST Data (Part II) with Howard Marks
- The Biggest Storage Trends of 2019
Copyright (c) 2016-2019 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #xn9z.