This episode was recorded live at the Datrium offices in Silicon Valley. Chris chats to fellow Brit Simon Long about the announcement of DRaaS Connect and Instant RTO. Both are new features/products in the data mobility and DR space and complement Datrium’s existing storage and virtualisation offerings.
Enterprises traditionally implement DR failover for virtual environments using techniques like storage replication and SRM. Datrium has offered DVX, Cloud DVX and Automatrix as tools to abstract and deliver DR capabilities to virtual machines. For customers that can’t immediately move to DVX, DRaaS Connect provides the capability to move applications into cloud-based VMware solutions like VMC (VMware Cloud on AWS).
The interesting aspect of this announcement is that Datrium is providing capabilities to build “on-demand” DR, with the option to move to DVX in the future. Many businesses can’t justify running an entire copy of their business, so VMC with a DR capability enables DR when required. This vastly reduces costs and eliminates rarely used equipment.
Datrium also announced the availability of Instant RTO. This enables customers to bring workloads back much more quickly, especially when using “pilot light” VMC environments.
You can find more on Datrium at datrium.com (or check out our previous podcast recordings from the links below). You can follow Simon on Twitter or check out his blog at http://www.simonlong.co.uk/blog/
Elapsed Time: 00:34:33
- 00:00:00 – Intro
- 00:02:15 – What is a double VCDX?
- 00:02:50 – How do traditional enterprises do DR in virtual enterprises?
- 00:04:50 – What tools & techniques do enterprises use?
- 00:05:55 – Physical LUNs don’t align well to logical applications
- 00:07:17 – Failback frequently gets forgotten
- 00:08:20 – VMC is a great solution for DR/failover
- 00:10:30 – DR should be assigned by SLAs
- 00:12:20 – With VMC, you pay for DR only when you use DR
- 00:13:50 – Datrium DRaaS is a set of complementary services
- 00:16:34 – Recovery into VMC requires no VM conversion
- 00:20:25 – DRaaS Connect – DR without the need for DVX
- 00:23:10 – DRaaS Connect has no dependency on source storage
- 00:26:30 – DRaaS Connect could be a tool for cloning environments
- 00:30:00 – Instant RTO is now GA 00:33:30 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #101 – Datrium Automatrix with Brian Biles and Tim Page (Sponsored)
- #63 – Datrium CloudShift
- #48 – Introduction to Datrium DVX (Sponsored)
- Datrium Delivered Data Mobility with Automatrix
Copyright (c) 2016-2019 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #bfh4.