This is the third in a series of podcasts recorded earlier this year at Hitachi NEXT 2019 in Las Vegas. This episode is a discussion on updates to the Hitachi Vantara UCP CI & HCI solutions portfolio with Chris Gugger (Director, Infrastructure Marketing) and Ed Reidenbach (Senior Director, Product Management).
Hitachi produces two updates a year, covering spring and autumn (fall). The fall update 2019 introduces support for Cascade Lake processor architectures, VSP 5000 storage and Arista switches. Hitachi has updated UCP Advisor to cover multi-VMware and bare metal environments.
The interesting aspect of UCP CI & HCI infrastructure is the focus on solutions. Both platforms are used within Hitachi Enterprise Cloud (on-premises private cloud) and now target containerised, virtualised, big data and traditional application workloads. In common with many vendors, the aim is to “own” the infrastructure and be able to provide end-to-end coverage for all customer requirements. In this respect, the ability for management software to work well across all technologies will be a key differentiating factor.
You can find out more on Hitachi Vantara CI & HCI solutions here (link).
Elapsed Time: 00:25:38
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:00 – HCI/CI – Fall Launch (spring & fall cadence)
- 00:02:30 – Is there a division between CI & HCI?
- 00:04:30 – Cascade Lake and VSP 5000 support for latest CI solutions
- 00:05:15 – Addition of Arista switches to reference architectures
- 00:05:40 – Stretched VMware vSAN clusters
- 00:06:30 – Enhancements to UCP Advisor, multi-VMware & bare metal
- 00:08:55 – Hitachi Enterprise Cloud uses Hitachi CI/HCI technology
- 00:10:20 – Hitachi uses OpenShift for container deployments
- 00:12:00 – VDI solutions can use HCP for unstructured data
- 00:14:30 – Hardware partitioning servers for SAP
- 00:17:30 – New NVIDIA Tesla GPU solutions
- 00:20:30 – Both CI & HCI are growing within Hitachi
- 00:21:55 – How flexible are workload migrations between CI/HCI?
- 00:25:00 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #125 – Hitachi Next 2019: Ops Center
- #123 – Hitachi Next 2019: VSP 5000
- Hitachi Vantara Introduces VSP 5000 Series Storage Arrays
Copyright (c) 2016-2019 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #f082.
Disclaimer: Chris was invited to NEXT 2019, with Hitachi covering travel and accommodation costs. There is no obligation to blog or produce podcasts from the event.