This week, Chris is in Austin, Texas at Pure Accelerate 2019. Prior to the event, Chris catches up with Patrick Smith, Field CTO for EMEA for Pure. Patrick moved to Pure after being a customer. The initial discussion covers why flash as a platform offers better reliability and consistency than traditional disk based storage.
At Accelerate 2019, Pure announced FlashArray//C, DirectMemory modules and the GA of Cloud Block Store. Patrick previews these changes and what benefits customers can expect to see from these new products.
Elapsed Time: 00:30:07
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:03:00 – What are customer experiences in moving to Flash?
- 00:06:30 – Flash is about consistency as much as performance
- 00:08:50 – Dedupe & compression helped justify flash costs
- 00:09:55 – Flash removed significant portions of design and deploy headaches
- 00:12:00 – The swing from generalists to specialists and generalists again
- 00:13:34 – Flash also improves availability
- 00:15:00 – Businesses wanted to be like hyperscalers
- 00:17:00 – AWS has offloaded storage functionality to hardware 00:18:30 – Announcements – FlashArray//C
- 00:21:55 – DirectMemory Flash for read performance acceleration 00:24:00 – CloudSnap extends to Microsoft Azure
- 00:24:50 – Cloud Block Storage is now GA
- 00:29:30 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
Copyright (c) 2016-2019 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #8e6d.