This week, Chris catches up with Praveen Asthana from Exten Technologies in an episode recorded at Flash Memory Summit 2019. With NVMe and NVMe over Fabrics set to become the dominant technologies for public cloud and the enterprise, exactly how will the transition from current solutions occur?
Praveen discusses the continuing need for centralised storage that can fully exploit the benefits of NVMe. This will need another transition in technologies in the same way flash created a whole new market of storage solutions some ten years ago.
An interesting aspect of NVMe adoption is the way hyperscalers will use the technology. The need for NVMe in public cloud was demonstrated by the acquisition of E8 Storage by AWS earlier this year. Hyperscalers will use NVMe not just for speed but to optimise the use of hardware and reduce costs.
Exten Technologies is developing solutions in software that allow the efficient use of hardware from a range of vendors. The architecture is designed to exploit micro-services with efficient processor utilisation.
You can learn more about how Exten Technologies is approaching the NVMe market at https://exten.io.
Elapsed time: 00:24:17
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:55 – Is the adoption of NVMe reflective of SAN 1.0?
- 00:03:30 – Whatever happened to application-level resiliency?
- 00:05:30 – The move to flash – retro fit and new solutions
- 00:07:00 – NVMe solutions aren’t all end to end – some use SAS
- 00:09:30 – Will NVMe force a build from scratch for vendors?
- 00:11:00 – Will all applications need the performance NVMe offers?
- 00:12:30 – Use cases – HPC, analytics
- 00:14:00 – How will hyperscalers use NVMe solutions?
- 00:16:35 – What does enterprise adoption look like?
- 00:18:00 – EXTEN is developing a solution via software
- 00:20:35 – Enterprises like appliances
- 00:20:55 – Will NVMe drive new (unexpected) solutions?
- 00:23:30 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- What is Software Composable Infrastructure?
- Performance Analysis of SAS/SATA and NVMe SSDs
- #89 – Choices in NVMe Architectures
Copyright (c) 2016-2019 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast episode #C7A0.