This week Chris speaks to Jonathan Martin (CMO) and John Magee (VP, Portfolio Marketing) at Hitachi Vantara. This episode was recorded live onsite at the new Hitachi Vantara offices in Santa Clara.
As data becomes ever more valuable to organisations, the process of building data pipelines will continue to be a time and resource intensive task. In order to keep up with demand, Hitachi Vantara believes that businesses will need to implement automated processes that deal with the analytics pipeline – a concept called DataOps.
DataOps is a methodology rather than any specific product. It defines automated processes that both improve the quality and reduce the cycle time in analysing and exploiting large volumes of data. In a similar process to the way in which DevOps allowed continuous development and deployment of applications, DataOps looks to bring continuous improvement to data and analytics.
Surely, there will be challenges? Governance still needs to exist around how data is used within an organisation. There will still be a need for data owners and good practice in protecting, curating and managing data.
Ultimately, as Jonathan explains, we’re creating so much data that centralising it will be impossible to achieve. Instead, business will need to develop distributed models for data management and that is likely to be a major challenge for the foreseeable future.
You can learn more about DataOps either from following Hitachi Vantara at www.hitachivantara.com or reading the Hitachi blogs. Alternatively, join Hitachi Vantara for Hitachi .NEXT 2019 in Las Vegas in October.
Elapsed Time: 00:29:37
- 00:00:00 – Intro
- 00:01:00 – Comparing infrastructure versus data management companies
- 00:02:30 – Infrastructure still forms the foundation of Hitachi products & solutions
- 00:03:30 – Modern data challenges include diverse sources of data
- 00:06:00 – How do customers deal with scale in designing data pipelines?
- 00:06:48 – What is DataOps?
- 00:10:32 – How will new data sources be curated and governed?
- 00:12:00 – Data Management for the AI era
- 00:13:40 – Could automation all data to be misused?
- 00:15:15 – What technology is in place to enable DataOps?
- 00:20:30 – CarFax – bringing multiple data sources together with Hitachi technology
- 00:22:27 – How are customers looking at hybrid cloud?
- 00:24:30 – Designing a distributed data model will be an ongoing data challenge
- 00:27:00 – DataOps – learn more at Hitachi .NEXT
- 00:28:50 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #72 – Hitachi Vantara Looking Forward with Shawn Rosemarin
- #67 – Hitachi Vantara ne Year On with John Magee
- #70 – Pentaho Data Aggregation with Arik Pelkey
- #68 – Intelligent Object Storage With Scott Baker
Copyright (c) 2016-2019 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast Episode 1CD0.