This week, Chris and Martin discuss the announcements from Dell Technologies World 2019, held in April/May 2019 at the Sands Convention Centre in Las Vegas. Chris attended as a guest of Dell Technologies, who covered flights and accommodation.
Dell Technologies made a range of announcements, including improved capabilities on the Unity XT and Isilon storage platforms. A new data protection platform called PowerProtect was introduced and PowerMax gained dual-ported Optane drives that allow a new tier of persistent media storage.
One of the most interesting areas was the announcement of more SaaS and cloud-based offerings, including Cloud Storage Services and Dell Technologies Cloud. The former is co-located storage that can be used for features like disaster recovery. The latter is the delivery of Project Dimension and the capability to ship and run a Dell cloud based on VxRAIL, right in the customer’s data centre.
The idea of SaaS-based cloud delivery brings up many questions, not least where companies like Dell and HPE are headed, as cloud becomes more dominant. What does the future hold for Dell Technologies and other infrastructure companies?
Elapsed Time: 00:34:13
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:00:50 – Is the EMC brand vanishing?
- 00:02:30 – How big was DTW 2019?
- 00:04:40 – What did Michael say?
- 00:06:00 – What were the storage announcements?
- 00:10:30 – New co-located storage as a service
- 00:11:30 – Dell Technologies Cloud was new offering
- 00:14:30 – Is on-prem SaaS hardware the right step forward?
- 00:17:28 – Dell, VMware and Microsoft best of friends
- 00:18:25 – What’s the benefit of running vSphere on Azure?
- 00:20:50 – Where is Dell headed? It’s all about VMware.
- 00:25:25 – Could Dell be the Apple of Enterprise Servers?
- 00:28:00 – Will IoT and 5G be the saviour of infrastructure companies?
- 00:29:00 – What’s the future for infrastructure companies like Dell & HPE?
- 00:33:00 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #98 – Shared Storage for Scale-out Databases with Walt Hinton from Pavilion Data
- #90 – Dell EMC’s Enterprise NVMe Strategy with Vince Westin
- Garbage Collection #004 – Dell EMC World Preview, DockerCon 2017 and The Return of Violin Memory
- Will VMware lead the newly public Dell Technologies?
Copyright (c) 2016-2019 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast Episode 0431