This week, Martin leads the conversation as Chris discusses the vendors presenting at the recent Storage Field Day 18 event. SFD18 is part of the Tech Field Day series delivered by Stephen Foskett and GestaltIT. We last spoke with Stephen in April 2018 – an episode on why storage isn’t boring.
Although there’s no official theme for SFD events, the companies presenting were nicely delineated into scale-out primary storage and data protection. WekaIO demonstrated their scale-out file system. VAST Data came out of stealth and also presented a scale-out file system and object store. Storpool presented on block storage. Western Digital talked about their end-to-end storage portfolio. NetApp previewed NDAS. IBM talked about Spectrum Protect Plus. Cohesity demonstrated the latest features of their data protection and archive solution. Finally, Datera presented their scale-out block storage platform.
Videos from Tech Field Day events are posted online on both YouTube and Vimeo. The YouTube SFD18 playlist (28 videos) can be found here.
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:00 – What is Storage Field Day?
- 00:02:30 – Dave Hits’ last day at NetApp
- 00:04:30 – Scale-out storage – WekaIO, VAST Data, Storpool, Datera
- 00:07:00 – What is the enterprise looking for from storage?
- 00:07:30 – It’s 2019, do we need another new storage platform?
- 00:13:00 – And now, data protection, Cohesity
- 00:14:50 – Did IBM think of running applications on Shark? Risky.
- 00:16:00 – Would it be best to run analytics in public cloud?
- 00:19:00 – Is Cohesity developing high performance nodes?
- 00:21:00 – IBM – what is their storage and data protection strategy?
- 00:25:00 – NetApp presented on NDAS
- 00:28:00 – NDAS may expose APIs to mine backup data
- 00:30:30 – What did Western Digital present on?
- 00:33:00 – How can listeners learn more about TFD/SFD?
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #47 – Enterprise Storage is Not Boring
- #52 – An Introduction to WekaIO Matrix with Liran Zvibel
- VAST Data launches with new scale-out storage platform
- Exploiting secondary data with NDAS from NetApp
Copyright (c) 2016-2019 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast Episode 607B.