The idea of this episode was to put some structure around a set of enterprise storage predictions for 2019. As you will hear from the dialog, that’s not quite what we achieved! However, Chris Evans, Chris Mellor and Martin Glassborow do raise some interesting points on the direction of the industry in 2019. The conversation starts with a look at media. QLC flash is likely to be a hot topic, but what about storage class memory? Have hard drives had their day or is the technology moving into a state of equilibrium?
The conversation moves onto standards and protocols – NVMe in particular. There’s a real challenge around using Fibre Channel or Ethernet for block storage (Ethernet has already won in the file and object space). But how exactly will NVMe adoption proceed, especially for public cloud?
Probably the biggest talking point is data management. Technology improves consistently, however, the challenge of managing data still persists. What can we expect in 2019, do we need an Open Data Management model?
The wrap up looks at a few vendors and who will be big and who is in trouble. Possibly the biggest challenge is over-supply in the SAN and filer market, according to Chris M. We will see!
Elapsed Time: 00:35:56
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:00:38 – Who’s Gavin?
- 00:01:15 – Media – QLC gains more traction
- 00:03:00 – Will 2019 be the arrival of SCM?
- 00:04:50 – Has 3D-Xpoint development stagnated?
- 00:05:30 – SCM will drive container adoption
- 00:06:30 – Will HPE put SCM into Synergy?
- 00:08:10 – 2019 – The year of optical!
- 00:09:00 – NVMe (over Fabrics) will be big in 2019
- 00:10:00 – How about NVMe/TCP in Public Cloud?
- 00:13:00 – How does NVMe-oF compare to FCoE?
- 00:18:00 – The Storage Admin is not dead – yet!
- 00:18:30 – An Open Data Management model – like OSI?
- 00:22:00 – Do we need a dominant player in data management?
- 00:23:30 – S3 killed CDMI
- 00:25:00 – Can secondary data solution vendors solve data management?
- 00:27:00 – Which vendors will do well during 2019? Pure Storage?
- 00:30:00 – Could better focus be important for storage in 2019?
- 00:32:00 – Chris sees some saturation in SAN and filer markets
- 00:33:30 – Summing up – data management is the biggest challenge
- 00:35:10 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #81 -Storage or Data Asset Management
- #79 – Learning More About QLC Storage with Steve Hanna
- #76 – Fibre Channel and NVMe with Mark Jones
- The Biggest Storage Trends of 2019
- Processors back under the spotlight for 2019
Copyright (c) 2016-2019 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast Episode 39A2.