This week Chris and Martin talk about the evolution from storage management to data management. This follows from recent vendor events where data management featured highly, but still seemed to focus on infrastructure products. Is there a definition that can bridge the gap – something like Data Asset Management?
The team start by trying to get a handle on what storage and data management actually mean. In the data protection world, for example, DLP – data leakage prevention, or data loss prevention refer to more advanced versions of simple backup. Things get more complex when looking at whether the data as a single entity or the content within the data is the thing under management.
What data management work are secondary storage vendors doing? Can backup appliance vendors be classed as data managers? Why are storage vendors not making more of their own software and helping to drive product strategies?
In reality, some of this work is already in place. At the time of recording, episode #77 (HPE Performance Insights) had not been published. The discussion with Ivan Iannaccone discusses how HPE in particular is using the data from the field to drive better product solutions.
From Dell’s perspective, the acquisition of Data Frameworks represents a step towards data asset management. A link to the Dell Analyst presentation in Chicago that is mentioned in the podcast can be found here – Unlock The Power of Data. Companies onstage at the Dell event were:
Elapsed Time: 00:23:16
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:30 – Do vendors offer real data management or something else?
- 00:02:49 – How can we define data and storage management?
- 00:04:10 – Data protection, more an advanced storage management task?
- 00:04:40 – DLP – Data Loss/Leakage Prevention
- 00:05:50 – A definition of data management
- 00:07:40 – Are we blurring boundaries between storage admins, DBAs and app owners?
- 00:08:30 – Dell invests in startups – how many are they actually using in their business?
- 00:10:00 – Yet storage vendors have lots of data that could be managed
- 00:12:00 – Do storage vendors drive their own products strategy from data?
- 00:13:00 – How will SDS vendors use storage analytics data?
- 00:15:00 – What about the secondary storage companies, like Cohesity?
- 00:16:30 – Do we need a new term like Data Asset Management?
- 00:18:40 – Vendor acquisitions Boomi & Data Frameworks
- 00:21:00 – Wrap Up
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #77 – HPE Performance Insights with Ivan Iannaccone
- #75 – It’s ILM All Over Again with Chris Mellor
- #72 – Hitachi Vantara Looking Forward with Shawn Rosemarin