In this podcast recorded at NetApp Insight 2018, Chris talks to Santosh Rao, Senior Technical Director at NetApp. Santosh leads NetApp’s AI and Data Engineering efforts and has a 10-year history at the company, working on initiatives including Clustered ONTAP.
This conversation covers how NetApp is developing an Edge-to-Core-to-Cloud strategy that includes collecting and processing data at the edge, storing it in the core and exploiting the AI tools of public cloud.
End users want to make the most of CPU and GPU solutions, while minimising data movement. Edge Solutions, including ONTAP Select provide the means to collect and store data with some pre-processing, if required. The features of ONTAP allow data to be efficiently moved to the core and cloud for further analysis.
More information on NetApp’s AI strategy can be found at https://www.netapp.com/ai.
Elapsed Time: 00:24:01
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:01:20 – What is NetApp doing with AI? Data pipelines
- 00:02:50 – What does Edge->Core->Cloud mean?
- 00:05:00 – Entire devices are being used for de-stage of data
- 00:06:10 – How much pre-processing is being done on the ONTAP Select device?
- 00:08:25 – How does data get into the cloud for processing?
- 00:09:40 – Customers are building multi-cloud architectures to use CSP AI technology
- 00:11:30 – Tri-cloud architectures are being affected by GDPR
- 00:12:25 – ONTAP AI – a software stack and hardware offering – include cloud
- 00:14:50 – What are the biggest challenges for a distributed AI architecture?
- 00:16:00 – ONTAP enables “data copy avoid”
- 00:17:00 – Data is now the centre of the IT universe
- 00:19:20 – NASA – 30 years of data, outliving the platform/compute
- 00:21:40 – Where are we headed in the next 3-5 years?
- 00:23:20 – Wrap Up
Related Blogs & Podcasts
- #78 – Thoughts on NetApp with Greg Knieriemen
- Soundbytes #014: A Coversation with NetApp Founder Dave Hitz
- Soundbytes: The Data Fabric Eplained with NetApp CTO Mark Bregman
Copyright (c) 2016-2018 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast Episode QYNZ.