This is the second of a series of podcasts recorded at Flash Memory Summit 2018 in Santa Clara. In this episode, Chris talks to Amber Huffman, Intel Fellow and President and founder of NVM Express Inc. NVM Express is the standards body that governs the development of the NVMe base standard, NVMe-MI (Management Interface) and NVMe over Fabrics. Amber explains how standards’ bodies are initially established, including the ongoing ownership of intellectual property. The discussion continues, looking at how NVM Express standards are developed by committee, how the body is funded and how the process of wider education in the industry is managed.
Update: Amber was awarded the inaugural SuperWomen in Flash Leadership Award at FMS 2018. Read more on this recognition here.
Elapsed Time: 00:13:27
- 00:00:00 – Intros
- 00:02:00 – What is NVM Express?
- 00:03:30 – How does an industry body get funded?
- 00:04:30 – Who owns the standards?
- 00:05:30 – Is NVM Express hardware or software focused?
- 00:06:00 – What is NVMe-MI?
- 00:08:00 – What specifications exist?
- 00:09:00 – How are the standards developed?
- 00:10:30 – What details of specifications are available online?
- 00:11:30 – Training and education, how does NVM Express help?
- 00:12:20 – How well adopted is NVMe in the enterprise?
Related Podcasts & Blogs
- #59 – Ethernet vs Fibre Channel
- #43 – All-flash Market Review 2018 with Chris Mellor
- #37 – State of the Storage Union with Chris Mellor
- NVMe over Fabrics – Caveat Emptor?
- The Race towards End-to-End NVMe in the Data Centre
- Has NVMe Killed off NVDIMM?
Copyright (c) 2016-2018 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission. Podcast Episode B6RN.