This week Chris and Gavin catch up with Chris Mellor, Storage Editor for The Register. With so much happening in storage, it’s difficult to know where to start, so the guys focus on the rumour of Dell EMC reversing into VMware. Could this really happen and why is Dell EMC even thinking about this? The conversation flows on to IBM and their super-mega-hyper-uber announcement on NVMe. Is IBM getting its storage mojo back? Finally, the discussion turns to IoT and how storage and compute move to “The Edge” – no, not Dave Evans, but IoT. What can we expect from new companies like ScaleFlux and NGDS? The wrap up puts Chris on the spot for his predictions and gives us a nice follow-up in 6 months time.
Elapsed Time: 00:27:02
- 00:00:00 – Intro.
- 00:00:37 – Straight into Dell and the VMware reverse IPO.
- 00:02:31 – IDC numbers for 3Q2017 didn’t favour the big boys.
- 00:03:40 – Is this actually the start of a change in Dell EMC’s business? Solution Stacks!
- 00:04:50 – EMC chopped, shaped and distributed.
- 00:06:40 – IBM Storage reinvigorated with NVMeoF?
- 00:08:00 – Is 2018 the year for NVMe over Fabrics? (Or VDI, or Linux Desktop)
- 00:09:40 – But how big is the NVMeoF market, is it still niche?
- 00:12:00 – How does high the performance technology translate to Edge/IoT?
- 00:13:30 – What is in-situ processing? ScaleFlux, NGDS (Next Generation Data Systems)
- 00:15:30 – How important will compute next to storage be?
- 00:17:00 – Is Edge/IoT too hard, when simple issues like security never gets fixed?
- 00:19:00 – What would the more practical uses of IoT be?
- 00:21:00 – Could IoT be like Cryptocurrency or Bitcoin?
- 00:22:30 – What is the future of Storage? Latency, NVMeoF and SCM…
- 00:26:20 – Wrap Up
Vendors Mentioned in this Podcast
Dell EMC, VMware, IDC, NetApp, IBM, E8 Storage, Lenovo, HPE, Toshiba, Pure Storage, Kaminario, Violin Systems, DSSD, Excelero, FusionIO, X-IO