In this week’s podcast, the team chat again with Jim Handy from Objective Analysis. Jim is an analyst covering the semiconductor industry and provides some great insight into where pricing is headed in the NAND flash market. The conversation covers some of the technical challenges the industry faces, as well as the impact from China entering the market. Finally, the guys discuss the impact on Enterprise storage pricing.
There are some interesting observations in this conversation, such as the capability for NAND to be used in multiple densities and how the ability for the Enterprise market to follow the consumer market is driven by increasingly more sophisticated controllers. Enjoy!
Elapsed Time: 00:29:26
- 00:00:00 – Intro.
- 00:01:45 – Why has there been delays in getting 3D-NAND to market?
- 00:03:00 – MLC, QLC, TLC, XTC, do the users care?
- 00:04:54 – Stupid question time, can NAND morph into any type of media?
- 00:06:30 – Consumer leads the enterprise towards cheaper NAND products.
- 00:07:30 – Who gets their NAND first?
- 00:09:20 – Let’s talk about China and $140 billion!
- 00:15:50 – Where can we expect the price of NAND and DRAM to go in the long term?
- 00:19:00 – How far off are we from the next price collapse?
- 00:21:30 – How will price drops affect the Enterprise market?
- 00:28:30 – Wrap Up!
Copyright (c) 2016-2018 Storage Unpacked. No reproduction or re-use without permission.