In this podcast, recorded at NetApp Insight in Berlin, November 2017, Chris talks to Martin Cooper, Senior Director of Field Engineering, Next Generation Data Centre. The conversation introduces HCI, NetApp’s hyper-converged offering, which recently went GA. NetApp HCI uses SolidFire storage and scales differently to traditional HCI solutions in that the processor cores aren’t shared by storage and compute. Instead each is delivered as a separate server, more like CI.
Martin and Chris discuss the reasons for this architectural choice and how it fits a different market space than traditional hyper-converged solutions.
Elapsed Time: 00:11:54
- 00:00:00 – Intro
- 00:00:40 – Crowd control at the HCI Booth!
- 00:01:00 – HCI – first internally developed product for some time (FlashRay?)
- 00:02:45 – FlexpodSF – Flexed on Cisco using ElementOS
- 00:03:30 – NetApp HCI, how is it differentiated?
- 00:06:00 – Exploiting the SolidFire architecture – programmable storage
- 00:06:30 – Day one support – vSphere – but it could be used for other things
- 00:09:00 – Integrating into the “Data Fabric” story – the infrastructure fabric
- 00:11:00 – Wrap Up